Ready, set, go.
One month left to go.
We recommend the following steps be taken to make sure your move is a successful, safe one.
- Give appropriate notice to your landlord.
- Contact your telephone company.
- Make sure to call you gas and electric providers.
- Did you take off from work? If not, do so.
- Organize you belongings. We recommend "Keep." "Toss." "Store."
Two weeks left to go.
- Contact a moving company or secure a rental truck.
- Get moving transit insurance, if needed.
- Get and send out a change of address form from the post office.
- Make sure the post office will forward your mail.
- Decide what you will do with your children or pets on moving day.
- Begin packing items you won’t need until after you've moved.
- Cancel newspaper delivery or any other regular, monthly services.
One week left to go.
- Pay the last of your bills
- Get meters read to pay any outstanding amount.
- Make arrangements with utility companies at your new home.
- Get your new keys as soon as possible.
- Gather old blankets and sheets to protect floors and carpets in new house.
- Draw a map of new property for the moving company.
- Anticipate what will go in each room of the new house.
- Begin cleaning the new house.
- Consider storage options should you need them.
One day left to go.
- Secure and label all boxes.
- If renting a truck, begin move items toward the garage or where the truck will be parked.
- Make a box for emergency supplies.
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer.
- Make sure cleaning the new home is clean.
- Disconnect all appliances.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Make sure electricity is off.
- Check-list all items at new location.
Finally, be safe, and enjoy your new home!